Saturday, January 1, 2011

It's a new era


Simcha - we will miss you

Today is January 1, 2011 and this is my first attempt at blogging, so bear with me....'cause I have no idea what I'm doing.  But that's never stopped me before and onward I go!  I am embracing the start of a new year, 2010 brought much joy and fulfilment in my life, but much sorrow also.  On May 5th my mother died, so I imagine we will commerate her yahrzeit by wearing sombreros and drinking margueritas, which seems quite fitting.  In December it was necessary to put our beloved Simcha to sleep. She was not able to adjust to live as a diabetic and was growing weaker and weaker each day.  Our other cat, Baxter (also known as the Evil Queen) continues to flourish at 13 years of age and receiving her insulin shots twice a day with a little Prednisone tossed into her tuna at happy hour.  After crawling out of the hell of depression late last year with the help of a little prozac I have adjusted to the losses and look forward to our new life in 2011.  Better living through chemistery is my motto.

So, my husband and I have decided to life life to the fullest, carpe diem and all that.  Since the investments weren't doing great anyway we liquidated our stocks and invested in a new vehicle to pull the canned ham.  Yes, I agree, it does seem a bit crazy to chose a travel trailer that's only 8 feet wide and 16 feet long, but it seemed like the right thing to do and we took the plunge the day before Thanksgiving. 

Our first adventure was driving our new R-Pod RV trailer home during the first major ice storm in November in a van we had just purchased two days earlier.  Oh, did I mention my husband, Left Brain, was excited to check the gas mileage so he decided not to fill the tank?  Oh yeah.  As we crept along the Interstate, gazing at the cars and trucks in the ditches in horror, we kept an anxious eye on the fuel indicator.  We learned that it will ding first and then later show an illuminated image of a gas pump.  It also will show you how many miles you have left based on the current driving patterns.  Mileage appears to drop significantly when you are pulling a trailer.  We also learned that after a while it won't even tell you the miles left anymore....it just says low fuel.  I believe in a short while it would have said "low fuel, you idiot!"  We managed to get to a gas station and pump 19.6 gallons of gas into our 20 gallon tank.  The amazing thing was that I wasn't concerned about it. We were safe, it was daylight, emergency crews were out ont he road anyway.  Oh the power of Prozac!