Saturday, April 23, 2011

Keeping the old bag

Eavesdropping isn't nice, and can be quite frightening.  I learned that lesson the other day when I overheard Left Brain talking to Larry Boy on the phone.
"Yeah, I guess I will.  It sure would be nice to get a new one though."
Hmmm.  I wonder what he's up to now...so I listened some more.
"Yes, I've had a lot of good times with her, but let's face it..she's been around a long time now and is starting to show some wear."
Uh oh.  What IS he up to?
"She's still functional and does the job, but I think I'm ready for a newer model."
What!
"I'm just not sure..maybe I'll keep the old bag for a while yet, unless I see something newer that looks good to me."
How crass!  Well, I'll just give him a piece of my mind when he's off the phone. Old Bag indeed!  How dare he!  I've given him the best years of my life..well, maybe not the best of the best, but still...some pretty good ones.  I was still spitting and sputtering when he hung up.
"What was all that about?" I asked calmly while seething inside.
"Oh, Larry's getting a new golf bag and I was thinking about it, but I like the old one yet, so I'm gonna wait."
Struck dumb...speechless...and that doesn't happen to me very often.
"Would you like steak for supper tonight?" I asked.
"Wow, yeah, that'd be great?  Is it a special occasion?" he asked.
"No" I answered.  "I just thought you'd enjoy it."


Long Live the Queen of the Old Bags

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I'm still giggling!!! I love it!!!!! I had to learn that lesson the hard way too, a long time ago. Now I ask questions before I spout off. Lady, you have made my day so much brighter!! Thank you and you have a great day.
    Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THOUGHT FOR THE DAY!!!! WAS HE REALLY THINKING ABOUT A GOLF BAG OR WAS HE THINKING OF SOMETHING ELSE? HUMMM!!!! YOU DECIDE

    ReplyDelete