Thursday, September 11, 2014

Mountain driving is NOT relaxing

First I need to share a photo with you of the caterpillar that was on our tree at the last campground. 

This little baby must be about five inches long and I have no idea what it is, or what that stinger looking thing on his butt might do. 

Needless to say, I left him alone.

Yikes!  

Check out that face, I think he may be about to attack!



We went up the mountains and then down the mountains, often at a 6% grade. 

So it's not just the cattle we need to worry about...hmmm


I missed the images of where it showed to put on chains at one point.  At another we had to come to a stop to test brakes before coming into the little town at the base of the mountain.

 Yes, the scenery is beautiful but it is not a relaxing drive for me....at least not in the RV.



It's starting to look more like the wild west, total terrain change

Yes, we were in many areas of open range again.  This mother and calf got me singing "Mama...don't let your babies grow up to be roadkill".


Even though we are only about 60 miles from our longer stay RV park, I needed to get off the road after five and half hours of twisty turny roads that go up and down and up and down.  As you can see, guard rails are not mandatory.


Nah...we don't need no stinking guard rails...
We saw several bikers going up these hills, I think one of them may have passed us.


The park here is pretty much a dump, but the Passport America rate is only $12.50 so it's worth it just for the internet and view of the mountains....and getting off the road.

Long Live the Queen 

2 comments:

  1. The view may be worth it, but it's just not for me. One look out the window at the side of the road and I'd be a goner. I'm so glad you're taking photos or I'd never get to see all this fabulous beauty. Enjoy your rest. Hugs, Edna B.

    p.s. That's an awesome looking caterpillar (or whatever it is).

    ReplyDelete