Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Landed in Missouri

 
After three long days of driving, eating tuna salad and sleeping in parking lots we pulled into the Turkey Creek RV Village at 6:00 pm on Sunday, April 14th.  I had called ahead to make sure they had an opening for us and the lady came running over, even though her day at the office ended at 5:30, and handed us our site number and info.

It feels so good to be off the road for a week and able to catch up on things, and there's plenty to catch up on!  As we neared the end of our dry-camping adventure the waste tanks were filling up and the fresh water was almost nonexistant.  This required me to bag up all the dirty dishes to await full hookups...yuck.  Not to mention that we are starting to smell a bit ripe ourselves.

The first thing I did was pay for a week's worth of internet to allow me access to things needed as well as be able to write up things for the blog that I haven't had a chance to write about yet.  While in Arizona we visited the Titan Missile museum, the Bioshere and Old Tucson, so I have lots of photos and stories to share.

One of our Escapee's friends, Wendy, let me know that instead of photographing the blue bonnets in Texas I was to be counting the dead armadillos while going through west Texas.  And this is a good sport to do, since there' not much to see in west Texas.

However, I must say that the largest population of armadillo roadkill seemed to start in Oklahoma and continued even more so into Arkansas.  Hmm, is it correct to refer to a dead series of animals as a population?  Probably not, but onward I go.

Left Brain and I always like to call out the species of roadkill on the way, it's our version of motorhome bingo to pass the time.  The most common sighting are the "alligators" that we spot on the road.  These are actually tire treads that fly off big trucks, but they look like alligators to us and that's what we call them.



As we got into Oklahoma I noticed my first dead armadillos.  It was quite thrilling....at first.  Occassionally we would spy something neither of us could identify.  It appeared to be dead baby kangaroos, but that didn't make any sense.  I mean, this is the south and things are different here, but still....  We finally came to the consensus that it must be slower moving jackrabbits.  That's our best guess anyway.

By the time we got to Arkansas I was convinced that they used dead armadillos as road markers.  The only difference was that there were no numbers on them.  It reminded me of Alligator Alley in Florida.  Perhaps this state could claim a stretch of road as Armadillo Alley?

There are so many blooms as we travel east and north - the redbud and crab apple trees are in full bloom as well as the forsythia.  I noticed lots of creeping phlox and daffodils also.  Everything is so GREEN here and with tall trees.  I think I may have been in the desert a titch too long.  It sure looks cool and refreshing.

This campground is very close to Branson, so we will be looking into what shows we want to see while in the area.  It's one of our favorite places to visit for entertainment.  All the shows are clean and inexpensive.

Long Live the Queen of Armadillos

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I feel so bad for the poor armadillo. Roadkill always makes me so sad. Maybe if they put short stone walls on either side of the roads, there wouldn't be so many small animal casualties.

    I'm so glad you made it to Missouri. Take lots of photos when you go to Branson. I just love country music!! You have a good night. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete