Friday, September 13, 2013

Historic Ship Nautilus Submarine Force Library and Museum

It was not the day I had planned.  Left Brain suggested going into town to check out the subs.  I thought it was a lunch offering and although subs are not my first choice,I figured what the heck.  I give him credit, he did try to explain that it was a nuclear sub we were in pursuit of.  Okay, so it has jalapenos...I can deal with that.

Wrong again.  This is how our first tourist activity while in Old Mystic CT was to check out the nuclear submarine museum nearby. 

Left Brain just loves anything to do with planes and ships...I guess it's a guy thing.



It was interesting to see and try to picture how all those men could live underwater in such cramped quarters.  After doing the tour the motorhome looks like the Biltmore Estate to me.





I couldn't help but notice that nobody in the submarine world was very tall or heavy...you really couldn't be and thrive down here.  Nor could you have any claustrophobia issues.

Note that there's still a fourth bunk above the dummy (no offense meant) sleeping there.

This reminds me of the "shoilet" from the original Canned Ham!


Our grandkids recently got new beds with an upper bunk and had to adjust to how close the ceiling was.  Well, hey kids!  Check this out for tight quarters!



The officers had nicer quarters but it's still small.  The desk as well as the sink fold up when not in use to save space.


This is the officers mess.
Many of the video presentations in the museum told of activities during the Cold War, something we Boomers are well aware of.  It was a fun glimpse into history and I still got lunch...just not subs.

Long Live the Queen of the Submarines

1 comment:

  1. My son was stationed in Groton CT for many years. He was In the Navy on a sub. One year, on family day, I got to go inside his sub with him. My son is almost six feet tall, and I don't know how he did it all those years. So glad you had a chance to visit the museum. Mystic CT is quite lovely. Your photos are fabulous. You have a fabulous day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete