Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Many lessons learned already

The connection is iffy and I'm going to try to get this to publish for an update to yesterdays posting....no photos....nothing fancy.

After waiting for two hours to have a mechanic look at our problem with the jacks all they could do at that moment was disconnect the wiring so we didn’t have to listen to alarm bells and warnings continuously.  So, at this point are jacks are being held hostage with straps and duct tape until we can find someplace to make the repairs on them. 

First lesson learned was to carry more water than we did.  We ran out quickly and after fixing up some supper we were not able to do the dishes.  I could live with this, but it also meant we couldn’t flush the toilet, wash hands, pretty much do anything that required water.  This is crucial when boon docking as you don’t have any facilities for electricity, water or sewer. 

And boon docking we were! Our first night on the road was spent at an Iowa Welcome center in amongst the truckers.  In hindsight we agreed we should have tried out the casino across the street, it may have been quieter.  So, that was the second lesson learned.  But, the 12 volt plug he arranged for using the CPAP with an inverter kept me running all night long, so that was a success. 

After arriving in Missouri we decided to park here about 50 miles north of our destination for a couple of days to rest up for the rally.  Since it was nice and quiet at the gas station where we dumped in another $225 worth of gas we unhooked the car.  And then we found the car would not start, so Left Brain had to circle the RV around to jump the batteries.  Not a problem, I knew where the cables were kept and he knows how to use them.  Got the car running and I led the way to the RV parking spot mentioned in our Escapee magazine. 

It’s just a little paved area near the city park but it has 50 amp electric, water and sewer for $20 a night.  I parked the car in front of the RV and shut it off to go make payment at the park office next door.  Ooops.  Apparently you need to let the car run for a long time when the batteries have run down.  Third lesson learned.  This was not long enough and it wouldn’t start again.  So, Left Brain dragged out the cables again and jumped it once more.  I then parked it off to the side and left it running until he declared it was fit to be turned off. 

In no time flat we had it leveled (he’s amazing at knowing exactly how many leveling blocks need to go where), sides out, and everything hooked up.  Since I wasn’t doing the full set up with arranging all my pretty things, he let me do the hook up of water, sewer and electric to learn how this is done.  I’m feeling pretty confident on this now. 

Supper was tomatoes, green peppers, summer sausage, chips…pretty much anything we could scavenge without having to go shopping.  There’s a Mexican restaurant across the street we’ll hit tomorrow sometime.  It feels so good to be lazy. 

Long Live the Queen of the Road



  1. We almost always travel with fresh water full and grey & black tanks empty. Then we're set for an unexpected stay anywhere. Glad you're still going to make the Escapade.

  2. I'm glad to hear that you're alright. Hopefully, soon all will be well with your RV too. Enjoy the rally. I'm looking forward to some great stories. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.