Monday, August 8, 2011

Party Day

Help me...I've fallen and I can't get up!
Sunday was the surprise party at Carlos O'Kelly's and the suspense was killing me.  I've always had a fear of planning a party and having no one show up.  This is why as a shy, quiet kid (I know that's hard for some to believe, but it's true) I never had parties or events.


I had run into West Salem to pick up the cake and my grass (I'm planting next week) and when I came back I knew I only had a short time to change clothes and head out.  


So, I ran into my bedroom and into a large blond man wrapped in a towel.  All I could think to say was "Well! Happy birthday to ME"...which frightened my son-in-law and he fled for the other room.  


It appears he used my shower since the guest shower had a batch of witches legs hanging on the shower rod.  This is where I dry them after painting their feet and I forgot to remove them before the family arrived.  My poor house guests - it's enough to have to deal with She Devil hissing and spitting at them, but then to have body parts hanging in the shower.


We arrived in time to set up for the party before guests arrived.  And they did!   I had a wonderful outpouring of family and friends coming to wish me a happy birthday.  This was precisely what I had hoped for!  A good time was had by all and another fear of mine has been conquered.


There were those who ignored my request for gifts and cards.  Most bringing cards were careful not to buy Hallmark cards...that was their way around it.  I've got some really sneaky friends.  Then there were those who ignored the no gifts rule completely...such rebels!
But, it would be rude to refuse their offerings...so I graciously accepted.  What's a girl to do?


It was fun and I'm glad I did it.  As I drove home I was overcome with emotion from all those who came to wish me well.   I'm also really happy to be home with She Devil for a quiet night to reflect and read all the comments from those wishing me well.  My daughter prepared a wonderful scrapbook of memories for me that I didn't get to really look at in detail at the party.  I will savor this book slowly and read the letters people have sent and enjoy the photos.  Especially those photos of when I was so thin!  I might have to put some of these up on the fridge!


Long Live the Queen of Love



1 comment:

  1. Lucky you! It's been a long time since I've found a man wrapped in a towel in my bedroom!! Oooo la la!! Sounds like your birthday celebrations were just fabulous. Keep smiling and have a great day. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete