Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The dreaded back corner

There's always one spot in the yard that acts as a dumping ground.

The back corner was one of the first gardens at the kids, but it suffers from being ....well, in the back corner.  It's not easily viewed (which is sometimes good) and thus it suffers from neglect.

But now there's great hammock to relax in, so this little corner needs to be spruced up.


There are some great plants back here, like the ninebark, the bee-balm and the sedum.  But it needs more height and color.  

Then we need to locate something big, bright and bold - I'm thinking some yellow leaved hosta and astilbe with white blooms, maybe an ash leaf spirea for the very back as they get huge.  Some ligularia and astaboides tabularis would be a great addition; both have monster leaves and nice blooms and were a staple in my backyard.

One thing it definitely does NOT need is this stinking ribbon grass.  This stuff is invasive and unruly and needs to be destroyed.  Steph worked side by side with me during the pulling and digging to clean out this bed.

This area will be tamed one day, if not this year yet...then next year for sure.

Here is the missing photo from last Friday's Photoshop project from Andrea.  I had lost her submission and had to wait for it to be sent again.  It was just too cute not to include.



Long Live the Queen

4 comments:

  1. You rattle off those plant names like you know what you are talking about ... I think I missed an opportunity for some professional input on my gardens ... like how do you kill the crazy grass when it is right in with the good plants? I not only admire your knowledge of gardening, but your level of ambition is awe inspiring ... though I am not worried that I will ever have that much ambition, it does make me feel like I could do a lot more in my gardens than I do. But, for now, my eye is set on my Switerland trip which is coming up very soon. I have never crossed an ocean and suddenly I am realizing that I know nothing about what I need to take and I don't speak the language .... EEEEK! Can you sense the panic in my voice :) Thanks for posting my pic ... better late than never, right? Now I don't know if you want my newest one early or should I wait until Friday ... you choose:) My wish for you is a relaxing day. Something easy with a glass of ice tea in one hand and a bonbon in the other. Be well, Queen of Ambition ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super editing on Andrea's image. Hmmm, that looks like an orange poppy. I don't have any in my garden, but I love them. I have to agree with her, I'd love to have you spend a few days in my yard. Your ambition and creativity is simply awesome! And that iced tea with a bon bon sounds delish!! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to see what you do there. You are amazing on so many levels. Your family and friends are blessed. Hug.

    ReplyDelete