Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Into Illinois we go

We left Elkhart IN and headed north towards our next destination.  I was very excited by this part of the trip and I will be meeting two blogging friends face to face for the first time.

When we reached Fox Lake we stopped for lunch and had the most beautiful waterfront view while dining.  Yes indeed, the McDonald’s was located right next to a pier and was the most scenic view of any Mickey D’s we've visited.  We didn’t want to take time for a sit down lunch as rain was threatening and we hoped to get all settled in before it broke loose.

In a very short while we reached the turn off for Chain O Lakes State Park and were almost home.  Having an Irish name ourselves, this park just felt right with the O’Lakes in the name.  However, there was a van parked sideways blocking the entry to our new home.   We’d spotted the smoke earlier and joked that our State Park must be on fire.  Well, no joke….it was.


But the good news was that this was a controlled burn and it was great fun chatting with the ranger while watching the workers walking along and setting the fires. 

I asked her if any of the houses nearby get nervous and she said that they sometimes get some calls, but they contact each of them in advance and provide the start and stop time of the burn, so it shouldn't be any big surprise.

I chuckled when she told me of the cranky old guy that called to complain about all the ashes…he had just washed his car!  

My reply was to tell him there was an explosion at the crematorium and you have no idea who was falling on his car but were real sorry about the mess.  She gasped and looked at me with new eyes and I explained that I do have a bit of a mean streak in me.  To which she replied “I like you”.  I do seem to bring out the bad in everyone.


My hope was to connect with my blogger friends that afternoon yet, but I forget how tired we are after traveling and setting up so I called to beg off until lunchtime the next day.

It’s funny, this meeting people you only know on-line.  My nephew has done this in the past and it always concerned me for his safety. “You don’t know anything about these people!” I’d warn him.  And now here I am, doing the same thing.  But I feel very safe meeting these women…we are all of a certain vintage and that makes us safe…I think.    Wish me luck!

Long Live (hopefully) the Queen


3 comments:

  1. so glad it was a controlled burn! i've had the pleasure of meeting 2 bloggers in person at different times. it was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well"Sista" ... were ya safe?

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The controlled burns are so interesting and beneficial. Great pictures, too!
    I can't wait to read what you think of your blog friends after you met them! *wink*

    ReplyDelete