Friday, March 28, 2014

Sweet Home Alabama

It's good to be a member of Escapees!  Leaving the park at $47 a night to be in one for $17 a night....sweet home, indeed!
Where else do you register for your stay and have the person hug you?  It's an Escapee custom to hug...we're a friendly bunch.

The park is quite large and the schedule shows line dancing on Tuesday and Thursday, so I'll have to get my dancing shoes on and scoot my boogie over there.

We're about 25 miles north of Gulf Shores AL, an area we've been wanting to explore.  

The first neighbor to come over and greet us was Kay with her collie, Daisy.  As she puts it, she doesn't walk the dog, she's driving Miss Daisy.

Our next door neighbors are from the Wausau area and have a cat tent just like ours for their two cats.  I have a feeling she'll be adding tunnels to their set up soon.  

Tony went to school with Pete's cousin in Wausau and knew his uncle Jake.  It's a small world.  And then it got even smaller when he pointed out the airstream across the street.

This couple is  from Holmen WI, which is right next to our home town of Onalaska and she and I share the same first name.

I loaded up some geocaches in the area and we've been out once already in search and, as always, have discovered some nice places as a result.

We drove a little ways north to check out some bike trails I found on Traillink.com.  Just having all these websites and apps for the phone has made going from place to place so much easier.

The weather is cooler with highs in the upper 50's and low 60's but I dare not complain or I get scathing replies from my Wisconsin and Minnesota people.

Hopefully it will warm up a little more and the wind will die down to allow for some biking soon.

Long Live the Queen of Alabama

4 comments:

  1. It's so good to hear that you have found such a wonderful park with lots of good friends. It surely makes the days much nicer. I'll bet seeing another kitty tent was a wonderful surprise. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. small world, indeed! i grew up just about an hour from wausau. and that's the airport we fly in to when returning home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Line dancing ... you will need a wide brim hat and cowboy boots. I used to love line dancing, but now they get so complicated it is finished before I can memorize the sequence. Must be that I am getting old or something. Seems to me there are some mountains in Alabama ... are you close to any ... that would make for great biking options. That will get you in shape for sure. I guess I had better get back on my Switzerland diet before you pass through my area. You are going to be svelte and strong and I am going to be dumpy and weak ... Ugh, That just sounded unkind. The weather is picking up a little around here ... warmer, but rain and the lake is still frozen. Our Pelicans came by yesterday and left because you can't fish in a frozen lake. Don't know where they go ... fingers crossed they will come back later like they did last year. Sounds like you are having a great time with your new neighborhood.
    Enjoy Queen of (you forgot the "Sweet Home") Alabama ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small world, indeed. Bill is in Alabama right now. He won't dance, but he can play it on his guitar and sing it! When you come through this area, maybe we could meet up for coffee. I am neighbours with Andrea and got her into blogging!
    P.S. I am a hugger, too!

    ReplyDelete