Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tour of Montreal

The Blogger G-ds have finally let me add the photos to my write up on Montreal, so I'll post it quick before they become fickle again.

Last Sunday we took a coach tour of Montreal.  It was interesting for Left Brain to be a passenger instead of driving the bus as he had for so many years.

Montreal is a lovely city and an interesting mix of the old and new, sometimes side by side.


There are lovely parks everywhere in this bustling city, offering a chance to sit down and unwind.



I'm quite sure this is how George sees himself.

We were able to see the Olympic Stadium that was created for the Summer Olympic Games in 1976.  Near this was the Olympic Village where the athletes stayed which are now used as apartments.


Olympic Village

Olympic stadium

This apartment complex is called the Lego House as it is a series of apartments stacked one on top of the other at all unusual angles. They are arranged so that nobody can see into the others apartments.


The Lego apartments. 
The photo had to be taken through a glass window on a moving bus so it's not as detailed as I would have liked.

 

 St Joseph's Oratory is an Italian Reneissance style basilica which is the largest in Canada and dedicated to the country's patron saint.  There were many miracles performed here in the early 1900's and millions of people still continue to come to visit in search of cures.


St Joseph's

Old Montreal was founded in 1642 and is one of the main attractions of the city.  Our tour was on a Sunday and we passed many of the open air markets.

One of the many streets closed off for the outdoor markets

 
One of my favorite statues entitled the Pug and the Poodle

 

At Mount Royal Park lookout we had a view of the entire city below.  It's a lovely park that has provided many outdoor activities for over 100 years.



An overview of the city and the Olympic Stadium complex

We did some browsing around and had lunch at St Catherine's Underground City.


There were many floors below ground level filled with shops and restaurants.


There is a small Chinatown, but nothing the size of Seattle or San Francisco's.


A glimpse  into the entry to Chinatown

That's it for the tour of Montreal.  Blogger is still balking at loading photos and I'm out of patience. 


Long Live the Queen of Montreal

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting city. It definitely is a mix of the past and the future. Thanks you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photos of my mother's birth city. I visited once and went to some of the sites you saw. I remember an awesome botanical chinese garden.
    Wish I was there, hopefully soon again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Corporations supporting the Arts and all their sculptures for the public to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Montreal looks just beautiful. I love the parks. I don't think you could entice me to go inside that building that is leaning over next to the stadium. And I wouldn't step one foot into that Lego Building. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to things that defy gravity. I like having my feet on the ground. I have to agree that the Pug and the Poodle statue is awesome! You have a fabulous adventure in Montreal. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete