Friday, April 10, 2015

Creating the Perfect Cat Toy

When I saw this on Facebook I knew I had to make one for George and Gracie.  I even had the perfect little quilt to use inside for the bed.  After careful choosing, I went with the 
wedding t-shirt from our friends Vern and Lorraine since their anniversary is in March.




The pattern is quite simple and only needs a 15" x 15" piece of cardboard, two wire hangers, tape and a t-shirt.

Wire hangers have been long banished from my home in place of the nicer plastic ones.  Hmmm.  Where can I find some old fashioned hangers?

Aha!  At the Activity Center in Livingston there was a rack of donated clothes. I'll bet they have some.  So I took some of my less than favorite hangers with me to trade up...well, trade down.

Cardboard.  Rats!  We just tossed out these nice boxes from Left Brain's new laptop and they would have been perfect. Where am I going to get my hands on some cardboard?

I was on my way to the dumpsters to see if they were still in there and within reach without doing a complete dumpster dive, although I was prepared to do just that.

Lo and behold there was a man on his way to the dumpster with a bag of trash and what was that in his hands?  Cardboard!

I called out to stop him and ran over waving two wire hangers in my hand, still dressed in my sweats with the pajama top hanging out.  I must have been quite a sight.  Did I brush my hair this morning?  Couldn't remember.

He stopped apprehensively...actually he looked a bit frightened, as I would have been.  When I asked if that was cardboard (with a gleam in my eyes) he cautiously said yes.  People always speak slowly and carefully to those that appear deranged.

I just couldn't tamper my excitement, he had what I needed ...right there in his hands!  After asking if I could have it, he basically thrust it at me as he slowly inched away.  It was a little embarrassing to have accosted a perfect stranger for a flattened wine box, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

With the last of the needed materials I ran into the RV and began construction.  I was so excited.  It didn't take any time at all before my own personal cat tent was completed.  I proudly showed it to Left Brain.  He rolled his eyes.

I set it down on the floor, expecting George and Gracie to dash in and play.  They rolled their eyes.

I tried to entice them with tossing cat toys inside.  They looked suspicious.  

I tried shoving George inside.  He ran away. But Gracie stuck around...she's always been the curious one.



It wasn't until throwing cat treats in that Gracie reluctantly entered to get them.  She ate the treats and walked away looking disgraced at having sunk so low for a quick snack.


I can't believe I sunk so low!

Apparently I was the only one excited about the project as nobody will even look at it.  I'm giving it three days and if there's no interest it will be dismantled and Left Brain can have his shirt back.



Oh well.  I tried.

Long Live the Queen of Failure at Cat Amusement

4 comments:

  1. Surely you have spoiled them beyond repair. Kids these days. OY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. My Lilly would love this. Your cat is adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, what a wonderful idea. As for the kids, well they are as spoiled as my little guy. I think you did a great job in making the kitty tent. But I've learned that our fur babies (just like the human babies) seem to prefer "store bought" stuff. It's something about peer pressure, I think. You have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the finished "cat house". And I also like the car house creater-owner. :-) pond lois

    ReplyDelete