Monday, August 20, 2012

Situated in new digs

We arrived at Karnick Acres on Tuesday and have been busy ever since with our friends up north.

On Wednesday we went blueberry picking and stopped at the bars for hydration.  I sampled my first moonshine called Wedding Whiskey.  It wasn't on my bucket list but I can now add it and cross it off.  We had burgers for supper, mine was the jalepeno with pepper jack - yum!

On Thursday we headed into Ashland and I photographed the murals that cover the entire block.  And as luck would have it one of the artists, Kelly Meredith, was there to photograph.  She is one of a two woman team that create all these wonders.

Then we continued north into Bayfield and ate at the Portside Restraurant based on the recommendation of my friend, the Divine Miss M.  We got there right as it opened and were shown to a window seat overlooking the marina with all the pretty boats.  We were all impressed with the quality of the food and with a wonderful presentation.  We meandered back through the backroads on the way home, stopping at a roadside stand for some tasty bicolor candy corn.

On Friday we hit the roads on the ATV's, another new thing for me.  It was actually quite a bit of fun, more so than I anticipated (feared?).  We were doing well until on the way back our ATV kept stopping.  This one wasn't actually designed for two people so I was plunked down on two boat cushions over the wire grids in the back.  Once we got it started again they gave Left Brain the command to just keep going home and don't look back in case it stopped again. 

This simple verbal encouragement turned him into Mario Andretti of the Northwoods and we roared up and down hills and slid around corners.  Now keep in mind that the only way for me to stay ON this beast is to press down with my feet and calves when going uphill and grab onto the metal rigging in the back to avoid flying off the sides.  As we whirled over hill and dale my life flashed before my eyes.  Not only this present life, but previous ones as well.  Maybe it had something to do with the book I'm reading right now dealing with the witch trials in the 1600's.

There was one point as I felt my arms being forceably pulled out of their sockets just like being on the rack that I think I may have confessed to sorcery and being a witch just to make it stop.  Not that it helped.  I could only imagine the gleam in his eye and smile on his face as he blazed through the woods.  Oh well, at least this is off my bucket list now also (actually, it never was on it either) so I don't have to do it again.

Riding an ATV in the Northwoods seems to be the way to get from tavern to tavern and visit with friends over a drink and get the news.

Saturday Lorraine and I headed into Superior for pedicures - yet another first for me.  It wasn't as bad as I feared it might be. My first mistake was looking into his little toolbox of torture devices.  Then we went for Chinese food and I ordered curry chicken and stuffed myself.  My plan was to bring some home for leftovers but I don't know when I'd ever have a chance to enjoy them, so I just crammed it in.

Then we stopped at Rapids Riverside for a drink and found out we could walk a short ways down the path behind them to enter Amnicon Falls, so I grabbed my camera and off we went.  It's a beautiful park and I've wanted to get there for years...this WAS on my bucket list!  We made a couple of stops on the way back to her house only to find many places close up at 2:00 and 3:00 on Saturday.  Huh?   In the north where summer is only a couple months long?  I was surprised to see such early closing times.  Oh well.  We did find a Hardware Store she needed to stop at and I purchased a mandolin for slicing veggies.

The boys had not eaten anything all day as they were playing with Vern's new Harley tricycle and they were starving.  So, Lorraine graciously prepared shrimp scampi and I wasn't able to join in for any of it, just too full!  Oh such a waste!  Her scampi is to die for, but I really felt if I added anything more I would actually burst. So, I'm spending my time catching up the blog.

Sunday we stayed at the motorhome to meet up with my cousin and her family and enjoyed a very quiet day.  We enjoyed meeting up with them and starting to catch up at bit.

Monday we had coffee outside with the family and went into Iron River for lunch and then sat around in the afternoon discussing which books we are reading.  Shayna and I took a walk to her uncle's cabin and again we had a lovely quiet day.

I'm sending this using my cousin's jet pack internet access and it's a bit too slow to load photos, so this is it for now and I'll go into each topic with photos in more detail when I'm able.

Long Live the Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment