Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hearing VS Listening

I learned an important lesson recently, there is a major difference between hearing and listening.




This sign is up on my kitchen wall and I'm thinking it needs a gender correction.


We attended the performance of Le Cage aux Folles at the State Theater in Minneapolis starring George Hamilton with the garden club group.  I'm not sure why we claim to be a garden club we actually spend more time attending theater and fine dining than digging in the dirt.  Oh well...it works for me.


Anyway, I digress...at the performance they had a lovely blonde transvestite heckling the crowd as they came in.  S(h)e was asking all kinds of outrageous questions and being quite crude.  In other words....it was great fun.  I was so glad I remembered to wear my hearing aids tonight, I don't want to miss anything.


I should have picked up on the gay theme (duh!) based on the subject matter of the performance but didn't.  So when s(h)e asked if there were any Jewish lesbians I stood up and shouted "right here!". 


Left Brain was appalled.  "What are you doing?" he hissed as he not so gently took my elbow and placed me back into my seat.  "Well", I explained,"I know I'll be on stage someday, so it's not a total lie"


His face showed total bewilderment, but then again it's kind of a normal look during our conversations.  Then he asked me when I became a lesbian...quite a shock to him 28 years into the marriage.


Lesbian?  OMG.  Now I get it.  I thought s(h)e was asking for Jewish thesbians.  My bad.


I thought that was just a minor blip until the Marvelous Miss M announced we were going across the street to a topless bar for supper.  WHAT!  She may do that kind of thing on the beach at St Martin...but I'm NOT that kind of girl!


It was a tapas bar.  I think I really need to get these things checked out and make sure they're working.


Long Live the Queen (aka Miss Communication)

1 comment:

  1. God bless Left Brain. It must be quite fun on an evening out with you. I most definitely advise having the hearing aids checked out. lol. What a hoot!!! I saw Le Cage Aux Folles as a movie, watched it more than once and enjoyed it thoroughly. You have a great day. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete