Monday, February 4, 2013

Settling into our new digs


 
We have arrived in Yuma at last.  Well, actually we went past Yuma and landed in Winterhaven CA at a place called the Rivers Edge RV Resort.

Our plan was to stay at KOFA, the Escapees Park, but they were full to the brim.  We were offered dry camping and getting on their list but there was no guarantee.  Well, this girl has had enough of dry camping and was longing for electricity and water again…so we continued onward.

This park is nice, the lots are spacious with a cement pad, big shade trees and we were fortunate to be positioned next to the river as well as close to the laundry.  There’s a bit of highway noise and a train once in a while, but the rent was affordable and we just wanted to settle in for a while.

The first night we laid low and the following morning we set out in search of what Yuma has to offer.  Our first stop was at the branch of the public library, not that far from where we are staying.  Here we found free wireless internet with large quiet rooms to use for accessing the net.  There are also some study rooms you can use for a two hour period that may come in handy later when it’s time to do the taxes and longer projects.  After we got caught up with our email, Facebook and reading the blogs we went in search of food.

On the way to lunch we dropped off Left Brain’s prescriptions at Wal-Mart where we were told it would be a two hour wait, so those will be picked up later.

 
We agreed on checking out Bubba’s for lunch.  In my mind it was close enough to Bubbe’s for me.  He had the pulled pork sandwich and I had a very nice reuben.  After satisfying our hunger he dropped me off at Fry’s supermarket and then went across the street to a carwash.  He’s wanted to wash the car (and the RV) for a long time after all the dirt and dust from our stay in Quartzsite.

Since I was at my own leisure I walked up and down each and every aisle – what a nice store!  It had great selections and amenities. After shopping I went outside to wait for my chauffer to pick me up.  The car was so shiny I wasn’t sure who it was stopping for me.

After putting away the frozen and refrigerated items I carried the laundry over to put it in the machines.  It sure felt good to get everything clean again.

We have been living full time now for nine months.  It’s hard to believe we’ve been on the road this long already. 

 

Long Live the Queen of California Living

4 comments:

  1. 9 months INCREDIBLE... I can't believe that you've been gone that long. My how time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture is awe inspiring ... was this taken in Yuma? What a beautiful place and sounds clean as well. I feel better for you ... not that it isn't great to experience all kinds of living conditions, it just seemed a little hard in Quartzite.

    So now that you are staying in a different place than you had planned, will you still be meeting up with people you know and still be able to do your geochaching etc.? It must be wonderful to be able to change your life over night and meet new people, see new things, try new foods ... I envy you. In comparison, my life is pretty humdrum ... but then I can always be the voyeur and live life through your experiences so to speak, right? And, at the same time, you can appreciate that you are not here in the midwest where we had another 6 inches of snow and the temperatures are still in the twenties. That is my gift to you ... reminding you of what you are not missing :)

    Happy hunting in California, Queen of electrical living ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I've been cleaning, I still have not been successful in riding ourselves of the QZ dirt/dust. Cleaning shall continue I'm afraid. I must admit, I too like my electric and nearby amentities. QZ is not for the faint of heart. Great photo. Enjoy your stay in Winterhaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photo of the moon. I sometimes envy all the beautiful sunsets and sunrises you see way out West. Camping style life would be okay for me for a while as long as I had all the comforts of home. Electricity, internet, etc. It is hard to believe how much time has passed since you began your new life adventure. The good part is how happy you are. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete