Monday, February 18, 2013

Be careful for what you wish for….



I’ve always been a believing that you create a good deal of your own luck by having the proper intentions.  Some would call this the art of manifesting.  It’s a skill I have honed over the years and have benefited from greatly, but only when done properly.

Recently I was lack in my diligence and here’s the story.

The bane or our existence is the lack of good internet.  I would give up my gas oven in place of being able to connect to the Web and so this is what I’ve been trying to divine lately – the Web.

And Web I have been blessed with, just not the internet type.

In searching for some books to read lately I’ve been visiting the library here at the RV resort.  My first one was a sweet book titled ‘Driving Me Crazy’ by Peggy Webb.  It’s about her relationship with a very feisty mother who seemed to resemble the grandmother character in many of Janet Evanovich’s stories.  It was a fun read and there was a recipe for peach cobbler in the beginning that I have in the oven right now to test out.

did it as a triple berry cobbler instead of peaches...the second time - read on,,,
 
 

Left Brain and I have been attending Spanish lessons at the library, a free service they provide, not even a library card is necessary.  I had hoped for a native speaker and was dismayed to find a gringo teaching the class…but tried to keep an open mind.  This turned out to be delightful.  Leroy Webb has a degree in Spanish and taught in Utah until his retirement.  His pronunciation is flawless and he has a warm sense of humor in his class. His father was born in Mexico, but has no Mexican bloodlines.  During the wars with Poncho Villa the family fled to New Mexico and altered his birth certificate to show he was born in New Mexico instead of just Mexico.  Yup, his daddy was an illegal alien.  Did you notice his name was Jethro Webb?

Later, in search of another book to read I picked up a murder mystery by an author that specializes in the South West and various Indian tribes in this area.  I’m really enjoying her writing style and will be finding the earlier books in what appears to be a series.  Oh yeah, her name is Betty Webb.

So even though the internet connection seems to be precarious I am slowly weaning myself away from having to check my email and Facebook more than once a day.  The library is closed on Sunday and Monday so if the Sprint hotspot fails to connect me it just doesn’t happen and I’m finally okay with that.  I feel less and less a need to connect with the internet web and more with my husband and life going on around me.

So I really was blessed with connecting to the Web, only it seems to be spelled Webb instead.  Sometimes you fail to get what you asked for and instead are granted what you need; the beauty is in recognizing this and embracing the lesson.

Oh, the peach cobbler!  Easy and divine, here is the recipe:

Melt one stick of butter in a glass pan – don’t use oleo, you need real honest to good butter here.  In a separate bowl mix one cup sugar, one cup self-rising flour and ¾ cup milk.  Pour this over the melted butter – don’t stir in – just dump it on top.  Scatter one can of sliced peaches, drained, over the batter and butter.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Yum! 

Note:  I tried it the first time with regular flour, didn't see where it would make a difference.  Yikes!  It was awful....it does make a difference.  When I tried it again with the self-rising flour it was fine.  I used a frozen bag of mixed berries - this was really tasty.

Long Live the Queen of Abundance…and peach cobbler
 

3 comments:

  1. Definitely a very good lesson to learn. Life has a way of handing us what we need instead of what we want. But look at how nice it turned out for you. That peach cobbler sounds yummy. I'll have to ask daughter to make some. I'm still at work, so gotta go. You have a nice day, Hugs, Edna.
    p.s. I used a flash on that photo and that's what captured the snow so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having fun! When I was trucking with Bill in October/November, I had very sporadic connections with my Sprint Hot Spot! It drove me crazy. I ended up so disconnected, that when I got home, I took an actual break from the Web. I may look at other options if I go back out with him in the Spring. The cobbler sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Have you considered turning off your comments word verification? Some like having it, I know. Just asking.

    ReplyDelete