Saturday, May 21, 2016

So Many Parting Gifts



We recently had an opportunity to meet with our friends Patrick and Becky for supper.  This should be interesting....Paleo VS Weight Watchers.

First we got a tour of their spacious home and I wished I had brought my camera to capture her art studio.

Becky is a weaver and has many looms set up in her studio.  She gave me the lovely place mats that were used during our meal. 

Weaving is not anything I've ever tried and I'm mesmerized by the whole process, it's such a mystery to me. 
I think I'll stick to sewing.

Becky is a woman that knows how to cook and since she runs the Weight Watcher meetings I knew our meal would be healthy.  We dined on a lovely apple cinnamon pork loin with cauliflower mashed potatoes.

Her "potatoes" were far superior to what I had made, so I paid close attention to how she was doing this and now I'll have to make another attempt using my new knowledge.

She had some quilting books she wanted to part with, so I became the new owner of this Scrap Quilts one.  There are a lot of nice patterns in this that will be fun to try.

In her pantry she showed me some solutions to our loss of noodles with the Organic Edamame Spaghetti.  This is so exciting!  I never knew such things existed.

When I told her of my attempt to make cauliflower rice, she introduced me to farro.  This is the traditional grain of the mediterranean and looks a lot like rice.  She says it has a lovely nutty flavor and I'm going to attempt using my rice cooker to make this.  I found a You Tube video that showed it could be done.

In her pantry she also had a machine for making hard boiled eggs.  At first I thought this was extraneous, but then I started to reconsider.  I'd been purchasing the ready to eat ones in the deli, but I'm sure these are not the best eggs to start with. Plus I'm not sure what that fluid is they are floating around in.  So, when I saw this smaller version of an egg cooker at Kohls I snapped it right up.



It has little inserts for poaching and making an omelet as well.  A very tiny omelet, but I'll give it a whirl.

We ended the evening playing a dice game that Patrick found called Qwixx.  Now THAT would be a fabulous Scrabble word!

It took a while for me to catch on, but we were soon into the spirit of the game.  It's small and fun...I may have to add that to our arsenal of games in the RV.

Who knew food could be so fun!

Long Live the Queen of Good Eating


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have some awesome "old" friends here....and now new "old friends all over. Marti is on her way home...hope we can get together before you leave. Miss you and your tales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new place mats are gorgeous. I've never tried weaving on anything bigger than a pot holder. And that was many many moons ago. Your new book looks very interesting. I'll be watching for new projects from it.

    It sounds like you folks had a fabulous visit with your friends. Friends are treasures, and we are blessed to have them. You have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete