Thursday, July 16, 2015

Gracie does it again

Gracie was a barn cat before we adopted her, and apparently she misses her roaming days.  She's adjusted well to the smaller confines we live in and the tent and tunnel really help, but she's a sneaky one.




The first time was when she figured out how to unzip the tunnel and escaped into the woods, here at Ham Lake.  It was heart pounding that day until she sauntered back into the campsite.  She didn't look nearly as stressed out as we were. We now have a clip on the entry to prevent this from happening.

The second time was when we were leaving Ham Lake and she wiggled out of my arms and made a dash for the woods.  Again, that sick feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that we'd never see her again.  But, she knew where she was the whole time and materialized out of the woods wet, muddy and full of burrs but with a smile on her face.

The third time was when she managed to unzip two of the tunnels in the long extended tunnel we'd created for them.  After her safe return we now clip each one of the zippers along the entire 40 feet of tunnel.

I just realized while writing this, that this phenomena seems to only happen at Ham Lake.  Good thing too, since she seems to know her way about in this location.



When I returned from pickleball Thursday night about 9:00 it was starting to get dark fast and was time to bring the cats in.  George went in first but there seemed to be one cat missing.  Oh no...this was the first time this had happened at night.

I found a spot where the zipper was separating near the tent.  My guess is she realized this (or created the problem) and worked it until it was large enough to squeeze through.  Thank goodness George did not choose to follow her, because he has no street smarts and isn't that bright.  Don't tell him I said that...he's pretty sensitive about this issue.



We proceeded to walk around the campsite calling her name and looking for any white fur that might be visible yet in the remaining daylight.

I knocked on the neighbor's door to ask if she saw a calico cat to let me know, figuring we'd be going to bed that night waiting for any sound of her return.  She said she had just seen her walking down the main road toward the office about 20 minutes ago.  So, off we headed in that direction.

It's really getting dark now, so I left the light on our patio and we headed to where she was last seen.  Left Brain finally suggested I return home in case she came back and he'd keep walking.

As soon as returned I spotted her on our patio rug.  I tried to act nonchalant and talked to her as I approached, but ready to do a flying tackle if she made a ran for it.  She let me scoop her up and assist her back into the house.

Now he's out there and I noticed his phone sitting by the side of his chair, so I couldn't call him to give him the good news.  So I jumped in the car and headed out looking for Left Brain.

You know how it is when you're really scared and then the danger is past you get a bit hysterical.  Oh come on now...I don't think it's just me!  Well, I found myself dissolving into uncontrolled giggling with the realization that the cat was safely at home and now I couldn't find my husband.

After a bit I spotted this dejected looking man walking along the road and pulled the car alongside.  He was so relieved when I told him she was safely in our RV once again.

We went home and gave her a stern talking to, with a lot of petting and kisses as we were thrilled she was safe.

Now they are on probation and I've shortened up the outdoor enclosure to just the tent and the two new tunnel pieces that I trust.


The remaining tunnel sections needed to be washed (it's all dirt in our campsite) and analyzed to see what can be fixed and what needs to be tossed. So, here they are hanging on the clothesline to dry.



The new set up keeps them on the patio mat, so they are cleaner and drier now...and we can keep a close eye on them.

Their chairs got a good cleaning and I'll probably make some new toppers for them so they can be cleaned more easily since I'm revamping their set up anyway.

This cat is going to be the death of us yet.  If Left Brain had any hair left, it probably would have fallen out after this last escapade.


Long Live the Queen (and current Warden) of Wayward Cats

7 comments:

  1. I can only suggest that you just sit home and wait for her return as that seems to be how things end anyway. It may not be any less stressful sitting and waiting, but you will spare yourself the need to go hunting for LB in the dark of the night. Cats do know their way around. I am sure you have heard or read many stories about cats following a family across country. My cat, when I was growing up, walked with my dog all the way across town to go back to our original house when we moved. You can only hope that they don't run into any hungry critters while they are out, but then they can always run up a tree for safety. I remember when you got those two ... never would have guessed that Gracie would be a wonderer ... can't help but love her spunk :) So mending tunnels has to be your priority at this point. I love tunnels on the clothes line. I am sure a lot of people were taking a quick second look as they drove by. Your life never lacks excitement, Queen of adventure ... Thank goodness you are also the Queen of Happy Endings:)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happened to us a couple weeks ago, Cheryl. If it had been Precious we would have just waited patiently for her to come home. But it was LG (Little Guy) and he doesn't even usually want to go out. I think he just followed Precious out a window she had managed to open. After looking for him for several hours we left food out on the porches and went to sleep thinking we would never see him again. He's the same as George, doesn't have any outdoor "sense". I got up every hour and finally, at 2 p.m. he jumped up onto the front porch and walked in the door as I held it opened. I wish he could talk and tell us all about his adventures. He must have had some because he slept soundly the rest of that night and most of the next day. Love these cats but they sure give us some worries. Glad Gracie is home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happened to us a couple weeks ago, Cheryl. If it had been Precious we would have just waited patiently for her to come home. But it was LG (Little Guy) and he doesn't even usually want to go out. I think he just followed Precious out a window she had managed to open. After looking for him for several hours we left food out on the porches and went to sleep thinking we would never see him again. He's the same as George, doesn't have any outdoor "sense". I got up every hour and finally, at 2 p.m. he jumped up onto the front porch and walked in the door as I held it opened. I wish he could talk and tell us all about his adventures. He must have had some because he slept soundly the rest of that night and most of the next day. Love these cats but they sure give us some worries. Glad Gracie is home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no. This is such a scary situation. The dangers are endless. The tunnels seem to give Gracie ideas. You might want to keep only a couple of them. I am thankful she came home safe and sound. She is using up her odds quickly. Hugs to all of you! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just how you feel when the fur babies go wandering. I don't know what I would do if Pogo managed to get out unnoticed. He heads straight for the street. Gosh, I get chills just thinking about it. I'm so glad Gracie finally came home. Poor Left Brain, he must have been beside himself walking around in the dark searching for Gracie.

    Your photos are wonderful. I just love the one of the tunnels hanging on the wash line to dry. That is a story waiting to be told to a passerby. I agree, you may have to shorten the length of Tunnel City. Ah, the joys of mommyhood. You have a fabulous weekend. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that Gracie sure is the escape artist. I'm always so glad to hear that you have found her after she escapes. George may not be "street smart" but if you ask me he's the smart one for knowing to stay put. They are both such lovely cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as I LOVE ALL your posts, I, and I'm sure others, love the CAT ADVENTURES the best. Nice that Gracie is so willing to entertain. And George, I have a husband just like you, purrfectly patient, and somewhat aware of what is going on around him. What's not to love. Pond Lois. Thanks for the turkey vulture comments.

    ReplyDelete