Saturday, November 3, 2012

Several Shades of Gray

Our life has several shades of gray...not fifty, but several.



I have always loved the color of gray and the soft feeling of the sky on cloudy days.  Don't get me wrong, I embrace color in my life also but sometimes it's too over stimulating.

Black and white is always a striking combination with the highest contrast possible.  But people with opinions held in black and white makes for a tense conversation.  There need to be shades of gray to find some common ground.




This election year has been a very stressful one and so much seems to be riding on the outcome.  It's been very black and white and it has nothing to do with the color of the opponents skin.  I pray for who ever is determined to be the president to embrace the shades of gray needed for compromise and harmony.

In the spirit of all the political hoopla going on, I was reminded of one of my favorite scenes from The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, so I thought I'd play it for you here.



Perhaps this is why we chose a motorhome that is in shades of gray.  The car is black, our furniture is white.  Maybe we're trying to find the perfect compromise of wants and needs in our current lives.

Photography can be like this also.  Sometimes there's just too much detail and color in the photo and it is more enjoyable when rendered into several shades of gray.  The lines are less harsh, melting into one another. 

There's a mystery and a softness in gray that is found no where else.

Long Live the Queen of Monotone

1 comment:

  1. I like your gray tones. It has inspired me to try it too. Thank you. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete