Sunday, June 17, 2018

Garden Expansion

It seems that each week I dig up another six feet (or more) of lawn to make space for more plants.  I had the nice long stretch of garden and then a big gap before a small cropping of hostas.  This just won't do.  They need to be connected.
Also, I had purchased some of my favorite plants I had had in my old garden and no place to put them. So with shovel in hand I fixed that problem.




The garden is my refuge.  It provides a lovely view to gaze at while sitting on my little deck and keeps my hands in the soil...if you can call this root chocked horrible stuff soil.  I've never liked using the term "dirt" and in my Master Gardener class was taught to only call it soil.  But really, this crap barely deserves the term dirt.

The digitalis is blooming, something I've never had success with before so I'm enjoying that very much.



My friend Marti said I had all my favorite ferns but was missing the Lady in Red, so I had to remedy that.  This is a lovely fern with nice red stems.  You were so right Marti!  The photo below doesn't do it justice.  I'm still getting reacquainted with my camera after a long absence, so I'll try for a better shot in the future.



Some new plants have been added to the side of the shed where I get a little bit of sun.  The yellow and orange flowers below are tickseed coreopsis.  Very fun and festive blooms.



the pink flowers are bee balm, behind them are the cucumbers

This is my new favorite clematis called Pink Mink.  It has an explosion of tiny bell shaped flowers.




I've never had this one before, it's called Hawk weed.  The foliage was interesting to me and now it has this cute yellow flower.  The bloom was closed up due to the rain, but I'll try to get a close up when they are fully open.  The bloom looks a little like a dandelion when fully open, but in a good way.



When I spotted this Visions Astilbe at the 101 Market I fell in love.  I know how large and sturdy this variety is.  I added this to the newer area for easy viewing when it comes into bloom.  I'll add photos later when it's blooming. It is indeed a vision.



The roots around the tree make it impossible for anything but succulents, so that's what I've added here with some hens and chicks and black scallop ajuga.  I also stuffed in some Mouse Ears hosta to see if they'll make it here.



Oh what the heck, since I had some succulents left over I stuffed them into the tree.  Yup, you heard that right..into the tree.  There was a space where a limb had come off a long time ago that just looked like the perfect spot for something to grow.




That concludes today's garden tour.  I hope you enjoyed it.  I'm learning how to make a video of the photos and will share that at a later date.

Long Live the Queen



2 comments:

  1. What a lovely bed. I knew you'd have it filled in in no time. Plants really make it home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, what a lovely garden! You do have the gift! I'm absolutely charmed by the little plants in the tree. I never would have thought of that. Such a wonderful idea. You have a super day my friend, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete