Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A visit to the Readers Oasis


Sorry about the lag in posting, but I had the sniffles and slept for about 15 hours straight and now feel fine.  The generator is running so I have electricity and the hotspot is activated to get to the internet...all is well.  I have to say that I miss the ease of instant internet more than having water or electricity.


Yesterday Left Brain and I went into town to pick up a couple more LED lights for the RV and to catch a couple more items on our photo scavenger hunt.  One of those items was simply listed as "Paul".  I suppose I could have shot any old Paul around Quartzite, but my readers would be very disappointed as many have been waiting for this day.


It was a warm sunny day and on the way to the Book Store I wanted to drop off these stupid old prescriptions I'd been carrying around with me.  Left Brain saw an article telling us we could dump them off at the Quartzsite police station.  Finally!  We stopped there on the way to see Paul but forgot it was Martin Luther King day and the police station was closed.  Sigh.  Maybe later on we'll try again.

We pulled up to the Reader's Oasis and what a sight it was.  Everything was stacked and labeled neatly enough but it had the feel of shelves ready to collapse on top of me at any moment. 

And then there was this streak of very tan flesh that whooshed by me.  Yikes! 

That must be Paul. 

But what really caught my attention was the appearance of this black and white cat.  It reminded me so much of Baxter that I just had to make friends.  I guess it really shows my age when I'm more enthralled with a skinny old cat instead of a skinny old naked man.
Thank goodness I had heard about Paul before and was prepared for this, or at least I thought I was. 

I'm not sure anything can get you ready for an almost totally naked old man running around. 

Well, he's not totally naked, he was wearing socks and flipflops, some beads, a hat and a ?????, well, I'm not sure what you'd call it. 

His "wardrobe" consists of a crocheted (at least it looked crocheted, I really didn't get that close to look at it) snood that snuggled over his, er...private parts.  One skein of yard would make a wardrobe that could last a lifetime.  I was wondering if he had special ones for holidays, perhaps with tassels or bells.

The sign said it was okay to photograph but to ask permission first, which I did.  I found it very hard to keep a straight face while asking him this, but managed to stammer it out.

He's a very sweet, soft spoken man and assured me it was fine and answered my questions about the cat, whose name is Booth.




Paul was scampering about left and right assisting people in finding their book or magazine that they were looking for. 

Nobody else seemed to be struggling maintaining a sense of decorum like I was.  Maybe they're used to seeing naked men.



One of the Boomers had stopped by the day before and saw him pull on a shirt, get on his bike and head out for parts unknown. 

At first I wondered about the shirt, then I wondered what if felt like to ride a bike with a bare butt. 

Why a shirt?  Then it hit me.  It must be for those stores that post the warning "no shirt, no shoes, no service". 

Well, he has a shirt and shoes, so I guess he's okay.

I would have liked to get a photo of his face as you never see any images of him without them on, but maybe that's part of what allows him to be so nonchalant while pracing about in the buff. 

Or perhaps he's so used to wearing them that he'd feel naked without them?

When I explained about the scavenger hunt and that I needed to get a photo of him, this is the pose he left me with as he said "Here you go!  I hope you win!"  Not many things leave the Queen speechless, but this did it.



Long Live the Temporarily Blinded Queen

7 comments:

  1. OMG..... I am speechless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see any straps ... does he have it glued on. OMG, best picture of the year. I knew you had it in you ... well worth going blind over, I would say! I don't know how old he is, but he is in remarkably good shape for an old poop. Spoken from a nursing perspective, ya know :) And dig the shadow ... Shadow Shot Sunday, here comes the Temporarily Blinded Queen. You have made my day ... can't believe you did that!! Thank heaven for the hat, hair and wiskers ... his mother will never know it is him pasted on your blog ... we would have a temporarily Blind Queen and and Permenantly Shell Shocked Great Grandmother on our hands. There has to be some kind of award for this accomplishment, don't you think? I am giving you an award today, strange coincidence, but it hardly measures up to this post. Do stop over and pick it up when you regain your eyesight. THANKS, Queen of Shiver My Timbers ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I agree with Andrea. You've got guts my lady!!! What an absolutely fabulous photo!!!!! I wish I could have been a fly on your hat to watch all the fun you were having. Where was Left Brain all this time you were following a naked old man around?

    By the way, way back when (I was much younger then) I used to crochet these and give them away as joke gifts. They were called peter heaters then. Mine did not have straps to hold them on, they had a drawstring, you tied and it had tassels on the ends.

    Good Lord, I still haven't stopped giggling. If I don't stop soon, the Mrs will be out here wanting to see what I am laughing about. lol. You have a great night, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deer Blinded Queen, you rule. Thanks for sharing all the glory of an admirable man comfortable in his skin, picture. Glad you managed to hold the camera steady. Pond lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness! What an interesting outfit!
    Steve and I have left Q days ago and are now in Patagonia. It was nice meeting you at the happy hour. Will hope our paths will cross again.

    -MonaLiza
    Lowestravels.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you via Ingrid and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I got the time to catch up on your blog. I would have hated to miss this one! I'm not sure what's funnier to me: the "peter heater", his pose, or the socks with flip flops! I suppose when he takes his socks off the tan lines draw your eye away from his middle, then again I'm thinking he doesn't really care where your eye is! I'm catching up, but where was this?

    ReplyDelete