Monday, July 2, 2018

Accepting the Way I Am

I had such lofty goals when I left Arizona last May.  My plans were to grow my hair out, lose 50 pounds and amaze everyone when I returned to Arizona.  Ha!  The hair is starting to grow, can't screw that up...but I've gained three more pounds. Sigh.

Coca Cola has been my drug of choice for ages, ever since my mother started feeding it to me in a bottle at eight months of age.  But as you can see from the old advertising, this was encouraged in those days.



I've tried to kick the habit many times with no success.  Oh, I might go a month or two without it and then bam...I have one and am hooked again.  I have finally accepted this as part of my DNA and have moved on.

Chocolate is my main food group and I've tried to kick the Hershey's kisses habit as well, but find myself gobbling down chocolate chips and any other form that's out there.  Kind of like a drunk that will drink the mouthwash.  It's not pretty, but it's what it is.  At least the dark chocolate is good for the heart.

Thank goodness I never started smoking, or that would be another in my list of confessions.  Yes, I tried it...at age seven.  Didn't like it much and haven't tried it again since.

Generally I'm an upbeat and happy person, but sometimes things just drag me down for no reason.   I figure even though I'm way past menopause, I still have a monthly cycle I go through with mood swings and a case of the grumpies.

Thankfully I'm married to a wonderful man who understands all my ups and downs and gently helps me roll through them.

So.  I am what I am and have decided it is enough.

There, that felt liberating!

Long Live the Queen

3 comments:

  1. Cheyrl- we have the exact same gene. It’s all or nothing when it comes to chocolate and pop- why is being moderate so difficult- it’s like walking a tightrope balancing trays of Coke and kisses- why is that zone so seemingly impossible for some of us? I like your sense of being realistic/and being in reality. But you can still have goals.. realistic goals. So, go ahead and ask- what can I fo realistically today regarding this habit? Yer smart- I know you’ll come up with at least one! I’m going to ask myself the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, you are enough just the way you are. Big deal you drink cola and eat chocolate. Yes we all can have a goal of taking care of our bodies, but I think it's also important to take care of our emotional health.. Keep up taking care of yourself and enjoying your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't have a Coke (cola) habit, but I do keep it in the fridge for when I do want it. I also love chocolate. I keep a bag or two of the bite sized bars in my fridge for when I sneak out to the fridge during the night with the hungries. You're right, the dark chocolate is super good for our hearts (and souls).

    I held on to all my size three, five, seven, eight, and so on.....favorite clothes for years knowing that I'd get to wear them again just as soon as I lost the weight. Well, life had other plans. I finally had to give in and give them all away.

    You know, my kids and Pogo love me just the way I am, and I love you just the way you are too. You're a beautiful talented person with an awesome sense of humor. I'm so glad to call you my friend. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete