Tuesday, January 5, 2016

What a difference a coast makes




Although there were many things to see and enjoy on the Atlantic coast during our stay in southern Miami, I found the area a bit depressing.  Everything seemed dirty and disorganized.  The Joanne Fabrics there was less than adequate and pretty much a mess.  The Publix, which I usually enjoy shopping at, didn't seem well stocked and the vegetables were not looking good.  

But here on the Gulf of Mexico side, in North Fort Myers, it has all changed.  The Joanne Fabrics here is one of the nicest I've ever been in.  The Publix is once again a store I'm pleased to shop for my groceries.

We set up the first of January and spent the next couple of days reacquainting ourselves with the area and getting to know the neighbors, who are some of the friendliest people I've ever met.  We were welcomed immediately and introduced to everyone here.

On Monday I was able to go to the Community Center where I acquired a lifetime pass while here two years ago and check out the pickleball.  There were a couple of people I recognized from before and met some new people as well.

One couple I played with are also staying here in Tamiami RV and are very nice.  I'll be going with Don today to the Community Center to play volleyball.  It's a good thing I've got a volleyball playing granddaughter, because without watching her play I'm not sure how much I'd remember from those days in high school.  I'm betting our style of play will look quite different from hers, but I'm sure we'll all have fun.

The weather has cooled down and we actually need to close windows and use the blanket at night to sleep, which is a real relief.  The daytime is sunny and warm and about as perfect as you could hope for.

We still haven't checked out activities in the park yet, he's been too busy biking and I've got my pickleball to enjoy.  The internet here is much better than we had in Miami, so it should be easier to keep up with blogs and Facebook again and that is a real blessing.

So, to sum it up...things are good here and while we were threatening never to return to Florida again, we may have to reconsider that idea.



Long Live the Queen of Contentment


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you have moved on to a nicer part of Florida. My hubby and I did not like Miami either, although I didn't really get to see very much of it. It's sad because Miami used to a beautiful place in it's time.

    Enjoy that gorgeous weather!! It was up to 9 degrees this morning at nine o'clock. In a couple more hours, we'll be up to about 22 or 23 degrees. Woo Hoo!! Tonight will be nice and cool for sleeping (around 15 degrees. You curl up in a ball under a thick fuzzy blanket and hope and pray that you don't have to get up for anything before morning. Brrr.

    Have a super day my friend, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete