Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Minneapolis Institute of Art

The grandkids have their bucket list of things to see and do this summer and so we started with this trip to the museum.

On our way there we stopped at a place called Rudolph's for lunch.  I had to explain to them who Rudolph Valentino was and that he was even before my time.

There were so many exhibits to see it was hard to take it all in, so we wandered until something caught our eye.



This panel is created from driftwood found along Lake Superior.  It makes the most gorgeous mosaic.



The Native American exhibit had some exhibits that created talking points for us.  This design looks like bead work and is made from beer bottle caps, symbolizing the problem of alcoholism on the reservation.



This photo is of one of the many Indian Boarding Schools from the not so distant past. 








I explained how this was an experience of their uncle Joe's father.  The children were taken from their homes to live in the boarding schools and punished for speaking their own language...forcing them to speak only English in an attempt to remove their heathen ways.  

I remember my former brother-in-law explaining why he was deaf in one ear because he was repeatedly struck on the side of the head for speaking Ojibwa.  He didn't know English.  He was away from his parents and homesick and wanted to talk to his friends and cousins but was forbidden to do so.  

From that point on the family never used their native language anymore to prevent hardships for the other children who would later have to go to boarding school.  It is very true that when you lose a language you lose a culture.

Would you believe this charming (and very large) insect is actually a coffin?  I'm not sure this would bring eternal rest for anyone.



Well, let me tell ya...when I saw this little beauty my heart almost stopped.  I think it would make the perfect throne for the Queen.  But Left Brain couldn't figure a way to get it past the guards and out to the RV. 



Beautiful in it's own right - this is a view of the Minneapolis skyline taken through the window.



Here's the gang checking out an interactive display of the objects around them.



A lovely piece of stained glass for my friend Beth.



Pretty ponies all in a row.



And last but not least a funky chicken from the Americana era.




Long Live the Queen of Arts

3 comments:

  1. some cool art pieces. the bottle cap creation is well done. i hate what was done to the native peoples in the name of 'religion' or 'civilization'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that you can share this part of the journey with the grandkids. I am sure this time is also special for them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love the photos, especially the stained glass window. I've never seen one like it before. Beautiful!! I too, think it's horrid what was done to the Indian children. I remember as kids in elementary school, all the left handed kids constantly got their knuckles whacked with a ruler to make the kids write with their right hand. My brother was a leftie, and my mother went to the school to make sure no one hit my brother for using his left hand. You hace a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete