Saturday, December 22, 2018

I'm Still Alive and Doing Well

It's hard to believe I haven't posted anything since September...and here the year is almost over.  

I've been keeping busy with the development of our Patio Grill, the little cafe in our park.  The former chef retired and we've started the season with a new person and lots of committees, sub committees and sub sub committees involved in trying to change things up. Part of this is altering how we take the meal orders, the layout of the service table, cashier, etc as well as the menu.  Lots of changes and lots of opinions from many, many people.

My job (mainly) is in marketing the Patio Grill.  I've learned it's really hard to do this when everything is in a state of flux with daily and sometimes hourly changes.   In addition to this is the fact we run with all volunteers other than the paid chef and one kitchen employee who mainly runs the dishwasher and helps stock, etc.

During this process I have been to more meetings than I care to remember - often emergency meetings with little notice.  I have designed, redesigned and redesigned multiple times the menu and the ordering form. This has cut into my ability to do the things I really WANT to do...pickleball.

To alleviate the stress in my life I've resigned as secretary of the Pickleball Club and backed off from doing much with ticket sales and events.  I have paid my dues and only play for fun when I'm able to.  I'm not doing any tournaments this year.

I noticed just recently that my life seems to be calmer.  I took Thursday to clean and rearrange the house into a more spacious looking environment.  That felt SO good. Before this point I'd had a hard time to find time to just go get groceries and my energy had plummeted to depths where all I wanted to do was sleep.

Maybe I had gotten so overwhelmed to the point I couldn't stand it any more and just kind of "gave up" and "stopped caring".  I think this was a good thing for me, because now it seems nothing bothers me any more.  I find myself stating "not my circus, not my monkeys" every time some kind of quasi-crisis arrives.  

Life is good and I feel my energy surging upward again, but with a newfound knowledge to not over commit to anything.  All in all it's been a good life lesson.

Long Live the Queen


1 comment:

  1. Welcome back my friend! I missed you. I understand the feeling of so overwhelmed that you just want to give up. But thankfully, it passes. I'm so glad you are feeling so much better now. Life gets to be too much for me too sometimes, but I'm learning to just slow down and accept what I can and can't do.

    Your café sounds quite interesting. Just don't over do. Take time to enjoy yourself. How are the kitty kats doing? Today is Christmas and Pogo is waiting to open his gifts. We are wishing you and Left Brain and George and Gracie a very Merry Christmas. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete