Friday, June 19, 2020

Garden addition

I've been doing a lot of digging lately and in this blog I'll share the latest garden development.

It's been fun looking  back at the progression of the gardens.  Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the yard when we first bought the place.  It was all quack grass, creeping charlie and bare patches of dirt.  Some would say it was ugly ...I saw a blank canvas.  This first photo is from May 2018 when we added the raised bed on the side of the shed. The back is still just with the decking.


The initial garden was just around the tree.  



This got expanded in 2019.


Later on I added a secondary garden island figuring he could mow between them.  Keep a visual record of that "grassy" area on the side of the shed.



He recently asked if I could combine them because it was difficult mowing between them.  So I connected the two gardens and added pavers to create a path.  I didn't think to photo that development.  I added pavers to create a little strolling lane through the garden.



Then I asked if I could extend this combined garden up to the shed.  Permission granted and the shovel came out.  On Thursday at 9 am the area from the mailbox to the end of the shed was just grass. See the photo above if you need to. I started digging that up to prepare the area. Then I went to buy pavers and bark mulch.  I grabbed lunch for us on the way home for a quick meal and then went to 101 Market for top soil and a few starter plants.

I dug in the five (40 lb) bags of top soil into the existing ground and placed the pavers.  Got the plants planted and laid down the bark mulch. Watered everything in and cleaned off the pavers.  It was 3:30 pm when I put everything away and went into shower.  Garden in a day.



It's not completely done yet.  I ordered an arbor to place at the start of the path and will add some clematis if I can find the ones I want, otherwise that will have to wait until next year.  The bird bath may have to go due to space constraints.

Long Live the Queen of Gardening

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely gifted in the garden department. This all looks wonderful. I'm surprised the park manager hasn't hired you to beautify the whole park. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete